Wednesday 14 February 2018

Movie Review - 2010: Moby Dick

2010: Moby Dick

2010


The Cast



The Asylum V's Herman Melville in the Moby Dick Re-Dux.

This is where I start to wave the B-Movie flag above my head and scream "Yeah!"  There's a lot I like about this film... most of it being Bostwick's interpretation of Captain Ahab.  There's a joyous insanity about it.  I also liked the location.  No longer onboard a ship we're placed in the confines of a submarine and actually get to take on the great white one in his own territory.  Unfortunately, this doesn't work as well as it should.

Not having read the Melville tome I cannot compare the two, though I do hope they stuck to the story; like they did with War Of The Worlds and The Day The Earth Stopped.

Though, I do believe Bales did an admirable job of updating the story as well as changing the location to work within its confines.  Of course, there are your usual Asylum staples, such as helicopters being taken out of midair... usually without damage to the beastie of the moment.  Though I really did like the whale watchers tour scene, you know what's coming, but hey, you're still gonna love it.

The acting, for the most part, is decent.  And as I stated earlier, Bostwick has fun with Ahab.  Though, I believe it's Renee O'Connor, of Xena and Hercules fame, who gets the short end of the stick.  She is underused in this film and I don't believe that her character was meaty enough to compete with or complement that of Ahab.

The other good part of the film is Moby Dick itself.  There are some nice scenes where he's visible, such as the beginning on the ice.  For 2010, it's passable... though it's starting to look a bit rough and cheap today.  Though there is a good scene towards the end.  A Navy man runs into the shallows of the beach, believing there's a chance of being saved.  Unfortunately, we realise before he does that he's not in any shallows... as we see Moby Dick open his eye under the water.  In one movement, he flicks the man into the air and catches him in mid-flight.  The worst part is the budget.  So, even though Moby looks okay, by the time we reach the finale the effects are looking laughable.  The scene where Moby has a couple trapped behind a rock on the beach is one of the worst green screens I've seen.

This isn't the best Asylum film I've watched, though it isn't the worst either.  It's worth one watch just for Bostwick.  So for fans of updated classics, The Asylum, and Barry Bostwick I would gladly recommend this for at least one viewing.

I give this white behemoth a 5 out of 10

The Trailer


No comments:

Post a Comment